Thursday, December 1, 2011

Questions

Now before I actually begin blogging, I would like to ask my prospective audience a few questions regarding my topic (fairy tales).  Please take your time to think deeply about the following prompts and do make an effort to respond to them, be it in your head or via the comment button.  @IT classmates especially:  Comments would be very much appreciated!

  1. How useful are fairy tales in teaching children morale and life lessons?
  2. Think about your favourite fairy tale. What makes that one the one you like best?
  3. Is there a definite difference between fairy tales, folktales, and fables?
  4. Was it right for Jack to climb the beanstalk? For Gretel to save Hansel by killing the witch?
  5. Are fairy tales actually sending a positive message to children? Consider how Cinderella snuck out late at night, how Snow White took food from a stranger and married someone she didn't even know, etc.
Thank you!

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

1 comment:

  1. To answer your questions:

    1.) I think that fairy tales are somewhat useful in teaching young children about life lessons, however, older children may see some flaws, like how Cinderella snuck out at night, etc.

    2.) The main reason why my favourite fairy tale is 1o1 Dalmations is due to the fact that they are showing young kids how bad some people treat their pets [as you probably know, I am all for ending animal cruelty :)] As well, I enjoyed the story and never get bored of it!

    3.) To tell the truth, I'm not quite sure. Despite that, in my book, I see all three types of stories have happy endings, all teach a lesson, and they all have a "bad guy" that gets defeated. On the other hand, I think that fairy tales are more universal, whereas folk tales vary from country to country. As well, I feel that fables are sort of meant for older kids, as there are not as many characters that are appealing to young kids (fairies, princesses, etc. )

    4.) I think the answer to this question varies from person to person, depending on perspective. I think that the author(s) of these stories wanted to portray the characters as brave or courageous, however, when you actually think about this, kids may think of it as a way to do something against their parents' will for the greater good. In fairy tales, everything ends up fine, however, I think it is important to let kids know that in real life, things don't always turn up the way you want it to.

    5.) I think that fairy tales are good for sending good messages to very young kids, however, as I said before, it is hard to say that older kids nowadays will not take this as an excuse to break the rules, etc. To illustrate, in the real world, there are no forest animals to save you, no magic carpets to rescue you in the nick of time, etc.

    I enjoyed reading your blog so far, great work! :)

    ReplyDelete